It’s that time of year where the cold and flu takes over. Everyone seems to be getting sick with Mother Nature not having any stable weather pattern. Today I wanted to share a new way to help congestion. Fight the cold and flu symptoms with these lavendar decongestant shower melts.
- 4 tbsp. Vick’s Vapor Rub
- 10 drops of Lavender essential oil
- ½ c. Cornstarch
- ½ c. Baking soda
- 3-4 tbsp. Water
- Purple food coloring (optional)
1. In a mixing bowl, combine the cornstarch and baking soda.
2. Add 4 tablespoons of Vick’s Vapor Rub to the mixing bowl, and stir until it is combined well. This will be hard at first, but it will eventually blend with the dry ingredients. The consistency at this time will be loose and crumbly.
3. Pour in 10 drops of lavender essential oil and stir.
4. Slowly add in water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring thoroughly before adding more. You want the mixture to form a paste that clumps together, but you do not want it to be runny. If you add too much water, you can add in a tiny bit of baking soda and stir again.
5. If you would like to color your mixture, add a few drops of purple food coloring at this time, and mix well.
6. Press a tablespoon or more of your mixture into a mini muffin tin or a small ice cube tray. This mix will make 8 mini shower melts.
7. Place the tray in the freezer for at least an hour to harden. Slip out your melts and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. When ready to use, place one shower melt near the drain while showering. Use caution, as the shower melts can cause the floor to be slippery.
These lavender decongestant shower melts are sure to be a more natural way to ease the pain of congestion during cold and flu season. Let me know what you think of this DIY cold and flu remedy. Before you go follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram to see more fun, recipes, diy’s and crafts too.