Being a mom is one of the most rewarding things in life, and one of the most life changing ones. Relationships change, finding time to yourself becomes harder, and sometimes making friends can be much harder. I became a mom very young in life, and very few of my friends at the time had children of their own. So while being a mom was amazing, it began to get very lonely. Human interaction is so important for maintaining a good mental health space, so even as a mom, we have to make sure we take the time for friends. But how do you find friends when you are busy being a mom? I wanted to share some of my favorite tips and tricks I have picked up along with way of my 14 years of being a mom and share them with my readers! Let’s check them out now.
Here are my Tips for finding friends as a Mom
1. Find The Hot Spots- Now, what I mean by “hot spots” is finding where the people you would want to be friends with, would be! Are you into yoga? Sign up for a yoga class! Do you love sports? Check out the local sports teams games. Are you a party girl? Get to the bar on a busy Saturday night. When you are in a space with likeminded people, it’s easier to strike up a conversation!
2. Take a walk around your neighborhood- Some of the best friends I have found live right in my neighborhood. Back when I was a kid I feel like everyone knew everyone on their street, and it’s just not like that anymore! So put yourself out there and take a stroll outside. Maybe you will find a neighbor that you have more in common with than you even knew. Bonus, you won’t have to travel very far when you want to hang out with them!
3. Sign your kids up for afterschool activities- After school activities take up a good chunk of time, so you will be spending a lot of time with the parents of the other kiddos. And you already have something in common, so conversation should come easily. Some of my kids best friends happen to be from her many activities, and I have formed some amazing friendships with the parents of those kids. It’s a win/win for both of us.
4. Join a local Facebook group- In the age of social media, you might as well use it for some good right? I have found there are Facebook groups for almost anything out there! Look up local groups in your area that share your interest. For example, in my local community we have a rock climbing group, a mom meet up group, and even a table top gaming group. It’s a great way to plan and meet people with similar interests in your local community.
5. It works if you work it- Another great place for moms (or anyone, really!) to make friends is a at work. You know you are going to be spending several hours a week with the people you work with, so finding a few good work friends is not only great for the soul, it’s great to help make the work day go by a little faster as well.
6. Put yourself out there- Make sure you really go out into the world ready to meet new people anywhere you go. If you see someone and you like their outfit, tell them! Is someone wearing a band t-shirt from one of your favorite artists? Ask them what their favorite song is. Any excuse to get yourself out there and make a protentional friend is a win, don’t be afraid.
7. Host a play date/party/get together/etc- My final tip is to take it into your own hands and bring people to you! Find something that sounds like it would be fun, and start planning! You can invite neighbors, your kids friends and their parents, and you can even use social media to reach out to more people in the community.
How do you make friends as a mom? Share them with us in the comments and let’s help others!
Looking for more tips? Check out these posts:
- Tips for going to your first anime convention with kids
- Tips for the Work at Home Mom
- The top daily health tips every mom should follow