The Best 10 places to buy yarn
Right before the pandemic started last year, I had a spinal surgery that put me in bed for 6 weeks and I learned something very quickly, there were only so many hours of the day I could dedicate to binging netflix. So I decided to use the time off of work to learn something new and fell in love with crochet. And man am I glad I did because when the pandemic hit, I spent a lot of time at home like most people in the world. Crochet was something I could do that didn’t involve watching tv for hours on end and I loved learning new techniques and making things for friends. And when it comes to buying yarn, I can safely admit that there are SO many places, so many pretty yarns to be had. I had to clear out a closet for my yarn stash, and I can’t even be mad because when it comes to hobbies, it’s one of the cheaper ones I have ever had, ha!
I figured I can’t be the only one that picked up this hobby during the last year so I wanted to share my best 10 places to buy yarn with my fellow yarn craft enthusiasts! Let’s check out my favorite places….
Here are my best 10 places to buy yarn:
1. Hobby Lobby- When it comes to everyday yarn, I have to admit that Hobby Lobby has the best overall selection of different colors, textures, and weights. I can find almost any yarn I need for a project from hobby lobby. While they have done away with their coupons, their every day prices are totally reasonable, and if you can score some yarn on clearance you can get one heck of a deal!
2. Michael’s- Another great craft store to grab yarn out is Michael’s. While they don’t have quite the expansive selection as hobby lobby does, they still have a good selection and we all know that Michael’s puts out great coupons and sales. And I do love that curbside pick up service they offer, it helps me only buy the yarn I need instead of browsing in store and buying a yarn just because I think it’s pretty, ha!
3. Walmart- I know when people think of yarn, Walmart is probably not first on your list when it comes to where to shop but here me out, have you checked out your local Walmart’s craft section lately? My local store has really stepped up their entire craft section, and has a solid yarn selection. I love that I can sneak over to the craft section while doing my grocery shopping so I don’t have to take a separate trip just to buy yarn!
4. Dollar Tree- Another store that I didn’t think would be on a list of places to buy yarn but actually should be! I will note that not all dollar tree’s appear to have yarn, but the 2 local to me do. They sell small, single colored skeins of yarn for $1 ya’ll! It’s great for small projects or details where you just need a bit of a particular color. They had a decent color selection too! I would say there were about 20 different colors to choose from at my local store.
5. Etsy- I love all things Etsy, and I especially LOVE their yarn sellers. If you want to support a small business, while also getting some beautiful yarn, you have got to check out Etsy. It’s my favorite place to shop for hand dyed yarn (such as the 3 beautiful skeins you see in the photo above). And if you are looking for a specific color scheme that you can’t seem to find, tons of shops have listings for custom batches made just for you! Now, hand dyed yarn is more on the pricey side, but I don’t mind splurging every once in awhile for a perfect skein of yarn!
6. Hobbii Yarn- Hobbii is by far the best online outlet to buy your yarn. They have almost everything you could ever want, and the prices can honestly not be beat. They run wonderful sales and shipping is always free on orders $75 and up. The only thing I will mention when suggesting Hobbii is that shipping can take up to 3 weeks, but at the prices you are paying, I promise it’s worth the wait.
7. Amazon- I use amazon for…well, everything, and yarn is no exception. You can find a variety of different sellers and brands all in one place. And most of them you can get to you in 2 days or less which is an added bonus when shopping with them. A note about shopping on amazon for yarn (and well, anything else, really!) is to check the reviews and make sure former customers are happy with what they received!
8. WeCrochet.com- This is a fun little website I found while looking for specialty yarn for a project one day and they have an amazing selection. I love that they have kits too! And not just kits for crochet, but any yarn crafts. So if you are looking for a project that you can get everything for all in one go, you have got to check out their kits section. Free shipping on all orders over $35, and they are almost always having a sale.
9. Facebook Marketplace- People start and stop hobbies all the time, and when people decide to stop a hobby, they usually want to sell off their remaining stash, and almost always at a great price. When I first started crocheting I searched on facebook marketplace for a yarn stash to help build up what I had and found tons of people selling off HUGE yarn stashes for literal pennies on the dollar. You have got to give it a try.
10. Yard Sales- This is the same principal as shopping on Facebook Marketplace, just in person. I love a good yard sale, and I love them even more when I pull up and see a big basket of yarn just waiting to be looked through. People will make you a great deal too. And who doesn’t love saving money right?
There you have it! The best 10 places to buy yarn! Where do you buy your yarn? Let me know in the comments below!
Looking for more crafting fun and tips? Check out these posts:
- Easy DIY Crochet Wasp Nest Decoy
- My favorite places to buy crochet supplies
- My 7 tips for crochet beginners