12 Spring Cleaning Tips That Make Your Life Easier
Slowly but surly I can feel the weather getting just a little, tiny, bit warmer. Ya’ll know what that means right? It’s almost spring! Now is it just me or has this winter lasted FOREVER!? I feel like I have been wearing nothing but hoodies and sweaters for 6 months. Now I know it’s still pretty cold outside, but it’s in the high 40s today so I have hope that spring is almost here!
Now, with that being said, one of my favorite thing to do when spring comes is start on my spring cleaning! There is something about looking at your house after you have finished your spring cleaning list that is just so satisfying. I might fuss and complain the whole way down my list, but it’s such an accomplishment when it’s all done and I can just relax in a clean, sunny home! With that in mind I wanted to share my spring cleaning tips that helps me get through it all as stress free and efficient as possible. Let’s check them out!
Here are my 12 spring cleaning tips to make your life easier:
1. Make a list!! Making a list is SO important when tackling your spring cleaning tasks. What I do is go room by room and make a list of things that need to be done in that room. Using a list system will ensure that you don’t miss something that you wanted to get done.
2. The products you use make all the difference. Look, I love to save me a little money, but sometimes a splurge for the better products saves time and money in the long run. Let’s say you buy the cheaper toilet bowl cleaner, and you end up using twice as much of the product and double the time scrubbing your toilet than you would have with the better cleaner, then what was the point right? Do your research and buy the best product for the job that is going to save you time, it’s worth it! Plus, the most expensive product isn’t always the best anyways. I always hop on the internet and check product reviews when choosing what ones I buy.
3. Don’t overwork yourself- Trying to get everything on your list done in one day is just going to stress you out. It’s going to make you hate what you are doing, and you also might not do as good of a job because you just want to rush through it. Working smarter, not harder is always the way to go. It’s not a race! I know a lot of us work during the week and try to get our spring cleaning done on weekends, but that doesn’t mean you have to shove everything into one weekend.
4. Room by Room- One of my favorite spring cleaning tips is to use the room by room technique. Focus on completing all the tasks on your list before moving on to another room. This keeps you focused, in one area, and able to mark everything off on your list before moving on to your next room.
5. Get the whole family involved! When it comes to spring cleaning there is no reason for it to have to be a 1 person job. Your whole family lives there and helps make the mess, so everyone should have no issues with taking on a few jobs to help clean it up. And the younger you can start the kiddos, the better because then as they grow up they know it’s expected. I had my daughter helping with small tasks when she was a toddler and now she (maybe not happily, but willingly!) helps every year.
6. Sometimes natural is the way to go! Some of my favorite cleaning hacks use natural ingredients. If your garbage disposable is smelling less than pleasant, just toss a few lemon rinds in there and run your water. Fresh and clean! For your microwave, a great way to help you scrub less is to fill a bowl with water, a tbsp of vinegar and some chopped up lemon. Microwave for 2 minutes, let it sit for 5 and you should be able to wipe it down quickly and easily!
7. Don’t forget the fridge! Nothing can make a clean kitchen look dirty quite like a dirty fridge. While most people do clean the fridge out, some forget that you should be taking your shelves and drawers out and giving them a good scrub down once every few months!
8. Get those windows to sparkle. One of my favorite spring cleaning tasks is washing my windows. Of course throughout the year I clean the inside windows semi-often, but I get real serious when it comes to spring cleaning time. My tip when it comes to windows is to wash them on a a cloudy day. This prevents streaking! Also, use newspaper, not papertowls. You windows will sparkle, I promise.
9. Get a pack of microfiber cloths! Not only are reusable microfiber clothes better for the environment, they leave less streaks on surfaces, they last longer, and they just clean better!
10. Don’t forget your washing machine. So I have a confession to make…I’ve been an adult for…a number of years. But I didn’t know until about 5 years ago that you needed to wash your washing machine. (I know right!?). Now that I know, I always give it a good scrub down during my spring cleaning time. I run mine with a cup of white vinegar and 2 tbsp of baking soda with hot water. Give it a good wipe down when its done. Easy peasy!
11. Expiration dates: So almost everything has some sort of expiration date, and when you are spring cleaning is the perfect time to check them. Check your make up, hair products, skin care, etc. If they are expired, toss them! Your face will thank you and you will free up some room in your cabinets too!
12. Music, Music, Music. Ok this tip might not work for everyone, but something about listening to music always makes cleaning seem to go faster to me. Or at the very least, more fun! There are tons of playlists just for spring cleaning on youtube, spotify, amazon music, etc. Find one you can groove to and go, you will be done before you know it!
There you have it! My 12 spring cleaning tips to make your life easier! What would you add? Let me know in the comments below!
Before you go check out my other spring cleaning and decluttering tips! 5 ways to incorporate natural cleaning into your spring cleaning tips! Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, instagram and twitter!
Looking for more homemade cleaning recipes? Check out my diy recipes for laundry detergent, goats milk oatmeal soap making,home cleaning recipes, dishwashing detergent and even diy air freshener for your home.
Check out my other Earth Day posts and ways to help the Earth. You can find 10 activities that you can do with kids to help the Earth. This ones really important it’s 3 chemicals to get out of your house immediately. Or have you read 10 little things you can do to be a tiny bit greener! Here’s 5 Items you can Reuse over and over again in your home. And let’s not forget going green while on vacation.