Summer break is just around the corner. It’s that wonderful time of year when your kids are home more often than not. It’s that lovely time of year where your kids will often say that they’re bored and you’ll have no idea what to do to entertain them. Today I decided to share 25 free or cheap things to do with your kids this summer to minimize the boredom moments and enjoy some quality time together.
25 Free or Cheap Things to Do with Your Kids this Summer
- Make pizza together using English muffins, pizza sauce, cheese and other fun toppings.
- Create your own family photo shoot with each other making silly faces all around the backyard.
- Head out the door and go bowling together.
- Take a walk around a local park and enjoy the scenery.
- If you have a community pool, gather up the pool supplies and go enjoy a swim.
- Host a neighborhood playdate with the kids on your block.
- Have a family BBQ, let the kids plan appetizers and desserts.
- Make a unique homemade board game and enjoy game time.
- Take out old board games and have a family game night.
- Make an outdoor obstacle course for the whole family to enjoy.
- Gather up old movie favorites and have a family movie night.
- Play freeze tag together.
- Enjoy a game of hide and seek inside on a rainy summer day.
- Bake cookies, grab the ice cream and make your own ice cream sandwiches.
- Visit the beach and collect seashells and pretty stones.
- Gather up old magazines and make collages based on fun family memories
- Have a lemonade stand sale.
- Have an outdoor painting party equipped with large canvases and paint galore.
- Visit a local museum to learn the rich history of your town.
- Plan a road trip adventure together and enjoy seeing where the directions lead you.
- Invest in a badminton and volleyball net, play against each other for fun.
- Buy some sprinklers and have fun running through the cold water on a hot day.
- Visit a local flea market or farmer’s market.
- Volunteer at a local animal shelter or senior citizen center.
- Make your own flip flops and show them off to family and friends.
There you have it, 25 free or cheap things to do with your kids this summer. When you’re thinking about plans for the upcoming summer break, remember family time is about quality, not quantity or cost. There are so many inexpensive things to do with kids during summer break. I hope that you’ll pause and take some time to enjoy time with your family this summer season.