I’m not sure if it’s because I’m getting older or what but I’ve become very picky what I spend my money on. It’s not that I don’t want to let it go. It’s that I want to let it go for a good reason. I thought I would share what I did in the last year to save money at my house. Here’s my 7 tips to save money all year long.
Tips to Save Money All Year Long
- One way I do it is I have a job that pays me a little bit each month. I put that money back each and every month and use it as our Christmas fund. Find a way to get a small job that pays you and will allow you to put it back each month. It makes a great emergency fund or Christmas fund.
- Eat at home as much as possible. I used to eat out with my kids quite a bit. When I got my Instant Pot I began eating at home. It’s just as easy for me to make a good meal at home as it is for me to go out and get fast food. It’s better for us too. We almost cut out eating out…but not quite. I’m considering making this a challenge this year.
- This past year we cut the cords to cable. We have free over the air tv, a fire stick and netflix. There’s so much to watch you don’t need to pay $150 a month for cable. That’s a nice chunk of change too that’s now available to be saved.
- We stopped paying for the gym membership that we didn’t use. My hubby and I do videos on youtube or that we already own. We did yoga just the other day. It’s awesome. You can also just get out in your neighborhood and enjoy the free air! 🙂
- Cut out fancy drinks and sodas. I actually cut out soda. I did that and went to drinking coffee made at home. Guess what coffee makes me sick to my stomach and I hate that. I was so enjoying coffee. I now make tea. I make a gallon of “sweet” tea a day. My sweet tea only has 1/2 cup of sugar in it. I’ve cut calories and turned to drinks that are better for me. My sodas were costing me about $5-8 a week. Now I make it all at home.
- Pay cash and make envelopes to keep track of the cash and write on it the things you spend it on. For example gas, groceries, entertainment, gifts, haircuts and more. When that money is gone you stop spending. Easy way to stay on budget.
- Do whatever jobs you can yourself. I normally cut my dogs hair. I do my own nails. I am however going to get a haircut in a few! If you can do it do and put what you would have spent in a savings account.
What tips do you have to save money this year?
We’ve done all these this year and we don’t have money put back yet. However that’s because my son is going on a school trip to DC and we have to pay for it monthly. By the time it’s all said and done we will have saved $1300 to pay for his trip to DC and mine too because I have to chaperone! Do you have any good money savings tips? Check out this chart for ways to put $ back 52 weeks a year money saving challenge!