I have been compensated by Glucerna for this post; however, I am sharing my own thoughts. All opinions are my own. Talk with your health care provider about a diabetes management plan that’s right for you. #GlucernaHungerSmart #CollectiveBias
It turns out that at my last appointment I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I’ve always known this day would come because it’s in my family and I have always had signs. I’ve always noticed if I eat too much sugar I would just feel terrible. I need to get a handle on my sugar and stop eating and drinking so much of it. So here’s some ways I have vowed to combat it.
Check out my 10 Ways to Snack Smarter When You’re On the Go.
If you’re like me and you get the shakes when you go too long without eating then you need to have snacks ready to go with you. So I’m always packing a light snack and taking it with me on the road. Just get your lunchbox ready! Here’s a few snacks that I love to take!
1. Celery and peanut butter gives you the protein to keep your energy up and celery with the fiber to keep you full longer.
2. Hard Boiled eggs and cheese with cooling blocks in your lunchbox are great sources of calcium and protein as well. I took this with me a lot when I was going back to get my Masters degree. It kept me full until I was able to get back home for dinner.
3. Yogurt (I love my homemade yogurt) with oatmeal (uncooked) and 4 cut up strawberries in it. Yummo, easy and so healthy for you!
4. A mixture of nuts and fruits. I love to grab some peanuts and raisins to run out the door. The good thing about these two items is that the peanuts have so much fiber and protein in them. These will help you feel full for a while.
5. Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes and some pre-popped popcorn. Make sure you pop the popcorn in a brown bag and use the jarred popcorn so that you get no salt or fake butter. We’re trying to eat healthier and cut our sugars and unhealthy fats. Popcorn is a good source of fiber and the Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes have 15 grams of protein. That’s a great way to quench your thirst and get your protein in.
6. Apple with peanut butter is a great way to get the pick me up with the protein of the peanut butter and sugar from the apple. It’s so much better for you to eat the fruit than it is to drink juice. When you eat the fruit you get the fiber and the sugar. When you drink the juice you get no fiber and just the sugar. So eat the whole fruit.
7. String cheese and lean turkey is another of my go to snacks. It helps me to manage my hunger and gives me the satisfaction of having a filling snack. It’s one of my go to snacks on the run.
8. Cut up vegetables and hummus dip. This is another one with big protein and low sugar. This is such a yummy healthy snack that it will quickly become one of your favorites.
9. Small romaine lettuce, spinach salad with mandarin oranges, strawberries, sunflower seeds and walnuts. What a great boost of antioxidants in this snack. It’s tasty and gives you a bit of sweet and salty.
10. Cottage Cheese is another great snack that will give you the staying power of protein.
What you’re looking for is something that will slow the digestion process and keep your full longer. Protein has the power to slow digestion and keep your sugar level steady too. So when you combine protein and fiber you are doing amazing things for your body. A great snack like the Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes and popcorn, salad, fruits or nuts are what you need to keep you going all day long. With 15 grams of protein to help manage hunger, and CARBSTEADY®, which includes slowly digestible carbohydrates designed to help minimize blood sugar spikes makes Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes a smart choice. They also only have 6 grams of sugars and 1 carb choice per bottle. They do provide a good source of fiber to help support digestive tract health and are an excellent source of 25 vitamins and minerals. When you live with pre-diabetes, steady is exciting for me. Managing your blood sugar can be a challenge so I often count the little wins! It’s always smart to use any product with medical supervision.
I was able to find my Glucerna® Hunger Smart™ Shakes at Walmart. See below for where I found it on the shelf. It was just past the pharmacy in the diet area. Walmart has a bundle offer where you buy any 2 packs and get $3 off.
If you’re eating healthy on the go what kind of snacks do you take with you? Leave them in a comment so we can all share in healthy snacks!