Is your kitchen organized?
The kitchen is my favorite room in the house. It’s where everyone comes together at the beginning and the end of the day. Many of my fondest memories take place in the kitchen, but this doesn’t mean that it doesn’t get chaotic sometimes. There are days that my kitchen looks as if a tornado swept through it! In a room with so much traffic and activity it’s easy for things get messy and out of place. That’s when I know it’s time to get my kitchen organized. If your kitchen is starting to look a little bit crazy, take a look at our tips on how to organize your kitchen for some help.
10 tips to a cleaner, more organized kitchen
1. Utilize wall space. Hooks and pegs are perfect to hang mugs, dish towels and aprons. Space them evenly along the wall for the neatest appearance.
2. Keep countertops uncluttered. A set of matching canisters work well for flour, sugar, oats and other dry foods and will also look really good on your counter.
3. Display your cookbooks. Hang a small shelf away from the stove and arrange your cookbooks on it. They are out of the way but still right at your fingertips.
4. Get rid of the junk drawer. Having a junk drawer may seem like the easy way to store odds and ends, but that junk drawer will get more and more cluttered to the point where finding anything is almost impossible. Get a large, pretty bowl and put it on a side table or on the countertop. It will be large enough to hold what you need it to, but too small to become out of control.
5. Organize your cabinets and pantry by putting the things you use the most frequently on lower shelves. On the higher shelves put things that you only use once in a while. Everything will be neat and in it’s place but you will still have easy access to your favorites.
6. A large pitcher or container placed on a countertop near the stove holds odd shaped utensils (tongs, meat tenderizer, potato masher, etc.) perfectly. This will keep your drawers more organized.
7. Use a Lazy Susan for spices and non-refrigerated condiments. A Lazy Susan keeps everything together but takes up very little space and you just spin it around to find what you are looking for.
8. Where the heck is the lid for that? If you are like me, you have a cabinet filled with plastic containers. Some have lids but others are missing. Take a few minutes to put the lids on the containers and stack them in the cabinet. Throw away any that are missing lids.
9. Use an over the door shoe organizer on your pantry door. Use the clear pockets to store small or loose items like hot cocoa packets, kool aid packs, taco seasoning, granola bars, candy etc. This will keep things from getting lost on your pantry shelves. Use the lowest row of pockets for snacks that the kids can grab for themselves.
10. If your freezer is cluttered and you are always short on space, freezer bags are a great solution. Fill the bags with food and lay down flat in the freezer. You can stack the bags on top of each other and it will give you lots more room.
If your family spends a lot of time in the kitchen it can get pretty messy. Things get taken out but don’t get put away, you toss things on the counter or in a drawer and before you know it your kitchen is a disaster! Take a little while and use some of these tips and you will have your kitchen organized in no time. Share your organization tips with me!