Ok, so, I had the big idea that I would smoke a pork roast. My smoker is close to my house and on my deck. Bad idea, ya think? Everything was going great until my mom dropped by. Lots of talking and distracting taking place. I see smoke going by my back door. Uh oh. I hopped up, while she was mid sentence and said I have to check on my dinner.
Lift the lid off my smoker and Oh gracious! the flames jumped as tall as me. Ok, so that ain’t saying much, but it’s about a total of 5 ft off the ground and against my bricks on my house. It’s funny how when you are in the middle of a crisis everything seems to go in slow motion. Like making a decision is the biggest deal. I knew what to do. My mom, on the other hand, had some not so great ideas. She wanted to get a water bottle and spray on the fire. That is an absolute NO, NO! Thank goodness I knew that. All water does is feed a grease fire and make it bigger.
Slapping the lid on the smoker (or if this happens to you, just close the grill) helps contain the fire while I am running into the kitchen to get the baking soda. I have 2 small boxes, note to self get more baking soda and in bigger boxes). Grabbing the boxes I ran back outside and proceeded to dump an entire box on the pork roast and the grill. The fire instantly went out! Yay, me! I have often told my hubby that a grilling artist I am not. I am really good in the kitchen. Not so good with the fires. He was visibly relieved to see that I didn’t impair my face. Said if I had he would have had to replace a perfectly good wife. Nice, honey. Insert big sigh and dripping sarcasm here. So there you have it. If you are in the middle of a grease fire, always remember to grab the baking soda and not the water. Hope you learned a little something. I know I did. Never let me near the grill. 🙂
PS Dinner tasted perfectly fine. I just washed off the baking soda and let it finish cooking in the oven. Dinner save! Always, no Never let me near food and fire at the same time. It never turns out well! Tell me about your dinner fails or funny things that happened during dinner here.