Have you ever wondered if you can dump that expensive gym membership and still stay in shape?
I have wondered that too. This is what my walking buddies and I are talking about this week. We love to work out but as soon as it’s nice enough we want to be outside getting our work outs in. We love to be breathing in the fresh air and working out appreciating our surroundings. My gym membership to me is expensive. I’m not sure it’s worth it when we only use it about 5 months out of the year. Here’s some things we thought of to do instead.
1. Walk at your local park and get your exercise in. We have some great parks in our area and that’s a great way to get the ups and downs of hills and terrain in as well.
2. Pinterest has exercise challenges all the time that do not take a lot of time or money. They usually just require your body and give you somethings to do for a month. This month I’m doing this 30 Day Beach Body Challenge. In addition to our walking about 9 miles a week we add a challenge in to get our other muscles worked out.
3. Work out with a buddy! Grab a friend and do your old dvd’s or dvr some workout shows that are on. Even if they appear old to you they are still valuable when working out your body.
4. Check out these online videos I found and posted earlier on my blog. They’re free online workout videos for you.
5. If your children play on xbox, wii or even PS they have excellent video games that you can do. I have a wii Zumba and an Xbox Just Dance and we love them both. You can see them here:
Just Dance 4 – Playstation 3
Zumba Fitness Rush – Xbox 360
Now just make sure you get the right one for your gaming device.
6. Summer time is great for swimming. When you take the kids to the lake or the pool make sure you join them and swim. Swimming is a great all over body workout and so good for you.
7. Now is a great time for finding exercise equipment at yard sales. Let someone else take the hit on price and get yourself some good fitness pieces. My favorites are my elliptical and my treadmill for rainy days.
8. Bike if you have them use them. Make it a job that once a week you are to bike to the library or store or somewhere you’d normally drive too. Bike there and get your exercise in while you are doing an errand.
If it’s rainy just do those online workout videos I posted earlier or do your dvd’s and fitness games. The bottom line is you can work out and not pay the big prices of the gyms. Working out requires really just your body and some good shoes. The rest is optional. Make your workout fit your lifestyle and monthly income.
Have you dumped your gym membership in favor of working out with friends?
How did it go? Leave me a comment and let me know!
Check out my other popular weight loss and fitness posts.